Wednesday, October 26, 2005

What should be fixed in Asterisk #3

I'm at the Internet Telephony show, and a friend commented that I really didn't like Asterisk. I said that wasn't quite right, because I liked it for being an open source iPBX for Linux. I just didn't like that everyone was morphing it into these very un-PBX like applications. I understand that their options are quite small, and Asterisk will get the basic job done, but it is very square peggish. Which brings me to #3....

Stop spending time working on anything that's not PBX-ish. For instance, I hear about Asterisk being used for LCR and predictive dialing all the time. ACD functions as well. These functions are not really in the realm of PBXs, but of call centers and class 4 switchees. Imagine spending that time making a really, really cool soft client (or management dashboad) for Asterisk. From the looks of it, iaxcomm hasn't been updated in 10 months. How about we all goose that for a while?
Imagine that it will tell you all the states of the people on the phone, give you a visual call directory, click to dial, integrated with presence, Outlook, etc. That would be so hot. We had that back at Netphone in 1996, and it made my life as a manager SO much easier. Want an example of what I'm talking about? Check out the Gizmo project. So very cool....

No comments: