Monday, January 22, 2007

Introducing the Voice Over IP Literacy Podcasts

One of the best parts of my life is when I get to meet new people and teach them about the technology that I've worked in most of my professional life : Voice over IP. One thing I've noticed is that there's a lot to learn in our industry, and for some people, it's hard to know where to start. For these otherwise brilliant people, I'll be your host for a series of podcasts called the VoIP Literacy series. We'll touch on a number of basic points about voice over IP, from protocols to equipment, from the history of this industry to where it's likely to go from here. I hope that our listeners will learn the basics of next generation voice architectures, and it will provide a starting point for their own exploration.

Don't worry if you are just starting out and feel as though there's too much to learn. I've been involved in this field since the early nineties as an engineer at PictureTel, an early videoconferencing vendor that pioneered the use of packetized audio and video over all sorts of networks, and with little exception, have been in it ever since. I am continuously amazed at the sheer number things I don't know.

The podcasts are hosted from my website at ThomasHowe.com, and I've even placed transcriptions on the resources pages. Each podcast is about five minutes long, so you can probably get through one before your SIP phone rings. I would really appreciate any feedback you can give to me, because I'm sure that as much as I can help others learn, I'll be repaid ten-fold in what they can teach me.

1 comment:

Alexis O said...

Thaanks for posting this